Thursday, October 4, 2007

Master & Commander

(Globe Staff Photo / Barry Chin)
Game 1 ALDS 4-0 Sox over Angels.

Josh Beckett was near perfect.

He could have only topped this outing by pitching a no-hitter.

Not only was he a Master of his pitches, he Commanded them with pin point precision.
He knocked out 19 batters in a row after a leadoff single by Chone Figgins.

Of his 108 pitches last night, 83 were thrown for strikes, 24 batters either took or swung at a first-pitch strike.
8 Strike outs...ZERO walks......

He pitch 9 innings, going the distance... and gave us a short game, only 2 hours and 27 minutes.


For me , this game brought back memories of Luis Tiant with his shut out of the Reds way back in 1975's game 1 of the World Series. ( I truly bled red when we failed that year.) I remember listening to the games on WTIC while my Dad would drag me to the hardware store on weekends. No he's not a sports fan at all. Don't know where I get it from... the milkman maybe???

This was Beckett's 2nd consecutive shut out in post season and has now a total of 3 post season shut-outs. ( He pitched a complete game in game 6 of the 2003 World Series at Yankee Stadium to shut out the Yankees in a 2-0 win which also clinched the World Series for the Marlins).

Beckett had a bit of help on the defensive side with some great stops/catches from Crisp, Lowell and Ellsbury. Ellsbury made a spectacular sliding catch in the 9th at left field. Glad he was placed in left for Manny during the 9th. As I know Manny would have dived to catch the ball, I would hate to see him injured.
The Sox bats hit Lackey early with a 1 out homer in the 1st by Yuke. In the 3rd inning Yuke doubled just ahead of Papi's homer. Manny drew a walk, advanced to 2nd on a wild pitch and reached home on a single by Lowell.

All in all a good night in Bean Town.

Dice-K on the mound Friday night at home at 8:30. Eat that sushi Dice and step up to the plate... time to earn some of the money!!!

No pre-game predictions for me.. I'm just going to sit back, watch the games and enjoy how our "boy's of summer" have become the "men of October".

9 comments:

Ted D said...

jmp, it's nice to have a one game lead isn't it? I'm with you: sit back and watch the Indians take the Yankees tonight, then get ready for Daisuke to pitch a gem.

Sadly, I don't think Trot is going to get to play much, but maybe he'll be in RF with Wang pitching.

~**Dawn**~ said...

::waves bye-bye to the EE::
Whew. I was not looking forward to playing them in the ALCS. Of course, watching the Indians, I'm think I am a little afraid of them now too.

~**Dawn**~ said...

Are you all set for tonight?? Ought to be some showdown between Joshy & CC!

JMP said...

Hey Dawn,
Happy BD !!!

I returned home at 7pm tonight, was at the orlando intl airport ...drove like heck to get home!!
Joshie just gave up a homer!!!
No biggie.. lots of game left!!

Ted D said...

jmp, I'm guessing you posted your comment early. 10-3 now in the bottom of the 8th.

This. Is. Awesome.

jenny said...

I saw that picture of Beckett and thought you had posted about last night's game already...

that was one hell of an outing for him, eh? whatta game.

KAYLEE said...

I WANT ANOTHER ONE :P

JMP said...

It's 8:15pm saturday night!
The boob tube is on FOX
We had Steak, Baked potatoes and veggies with wine for dinner...now for dessert a Red Sox WIN!!!

GO SOX!!!!!!

KAYLEE said...

I LIKE THAT DESSERT :P